Agility Foundation Class – Level 2 w/Anne
August 7, 2019 @ 10:00 am – 11:00 am
Cost per dog per session: $80/GVDC members, $100/non-GVDC members
- *GVDC Membership Information: https://www.goletavalleydogclub.org/about/
- *All classes take place at Girsh Park in Goleta, behind Costco: https://www.goletavalleydogclub.org/practices/
- *Payment for the class session is due on the first day of the session, checks are made out to “GVDC”
- *Dogs showing aggression towards people or other dogs will be asked to leave
Class arrival time: 9:30am. Please arrive on time so we can get everything set up, we will need to end the class promptly at 11:00am each week. Thank you.
This class is good for young dogs and novice dogs of any age. Minimum age requirement: 5 months old.
We will build on the skills that we started in the first session of this class.
We will be focusing on building a foundation for our agility dogs, some of the things we will cover include:
- Using toys to build motivation and excitement for the reward (can be food toys as well)
- Movement exercises: Restrained recalls, teaching acceleration and how to read deceleration
- Basics of turns using cones and jump wings
- Enhancing stays and release words, impulse control work
- Maintaining focus around distractions
- Work with fitpaws equipment and jump bumps
- Introduction to jump grids (using jump bumps)
- Teaching rear-end awareness
- Introduction to certain obstacles: tunnel, table, tire, downside contacts, possible 2 X 2 weaves
Prior to starting this class, it is highly recommended that you teach your dog to engage with toys and how to play tug – as we will be doing a lot of this in the class. Please bring 2-3 tug toys to class with you each week. If you have a dog that prefers food toys, bring those to class as well. Linda Keating sells lotus ball toys that can be filled with treats and tossed as a reward. If you need an idea for a food toy, please pick up at least 2 of these at Home Depot:
For all Agility Classes, please bring with you each week:
Your dog on a flat buckle collar or front-clip harness. Bring a variety of delicious meaty treats for your dog, water and a bowl, a chair for yourself, shade for your dog, clicker, 4 or 6 foot leash (no flexi’s please), and ideally a crate or pen for your dog. Please bring a toy or two that your dog really enjoys, to use as a reward throughout the class.
For a dog that is not yet motivated by toys or for a pup that needs some cool new ones, please look at the treat pouches lined with bunny fur and fleece and other creations, made by our own Linda Keating. Linda is often at classes and can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org , and you may be able to purchase from her at Girsh Park: http://kibatoys.com/main.sc